Conservation Corps Nebraska National Forest Resource Assistant Internship in Ft. Pierre, South Dakota
Title: Ancestral Lands - Resource Assistant Intern
Start/End Date: November 5th, 2018 - April 26th, 2018
*Stipend: *$404/week (+Education Award)
*Term: *25 weeks
*Reports To: *US Forest Service
*Location: *Ft. Pierre, SD 57532
*Status: *900-hour AmeriCorps Service Term
*Benefits: *AmeriCorps Education Award $1,538.36 after each successful completion
Southwest Conservation Corps’ Mission
It is the mission of the Southwest Conservation Corps to empower individuals to positively impact their lives, their communities and the environment.
Join the Southwest Conservation Corps’ summer intern team by working as a Resource Assistant with the United States Forest Service!
The Fort Pierre Ranger District manages the 116,000-acre Fort Pierre National Grassland in central South Dakota for multiple-use. Those uses include, but are not limited to, conservation, livestock grazing, and recreation.
The intern will be focused on: 1) land management duties on the Fort Pierre National Grassland, 2) facilitating the successful completion of the 2018 and 2019 program of works for the Lower Brule Sioux Tribe/Fort Pierre National Grassland Youth Conservation Crew, and 3) development and implementation of a youth/play/learn/serve project that engages at least 20 Native American school aged kids from the surrounding tribal communities.
Essential functions and responsibilities:
- Creating a 30 page coloring book targeted to 8-12 year olds that highlights both ecology and Lakota values
- Habitat improvement projects to improve habitat quality for pronghorns, pollinators, and other grassland species; including resources for cultural use
- this will involve retrofitting fences with smooth wire to make them easier for pronghorn to cross
- establishing native flora
- planting medicinal forbs and preferred food stuff (such as chokecherry)
The successful applicant must be self-motivated and able to work independently with limited supervision after the initial training period. The applicant must be able to maneuver and operate in a mixture of office and field work. This can include long periods of standing or walking on rough, uneven ground, bending, crouching, and stooping. Applicant must have a valid driver’s license and a good driving record. Prior to starting this position a government security background clearance will be required.
- 21 years of age or older
- College Graduate or Recent College Preferred
- U.S. Citizenship
- Permanent Resident Card, INS form I-551
- Alien Registration Card, INS form I-551
- A passport indicating that the INS has approved it as temporary evidence of lawful admission for permanent residence
- A departure record ( INS 194) indication that the INS has approved it as temporary evidence of lawful admission for permanent residence
- Driver's License
To apply, please submit an updated resume and letter of interest along with the online application.
Tracking Code: 1222-984
Job Location: Ft. Pierre, South Dakota, United States
Position Type: Full-Time/Regular
Salary: 404.00 - 404.00 USD