American Express Engineering Director - Cloud Native in Pierre, South Dakota
Engineering Director, API Gateway Engineering
Ready to kick start your career? Interested in getting involved with the latest and greatest API frameworks? At American Express, we are leveraging cutting edge technologies to power the company’s success into the future.
We have an obsessive focus on building best in class APIs to support all capabilities across the enterprise. We focus heavily on performance, security, and maintainability, in order to provide our card members a best in class experience.
We are seeking a highly energetic, passionate and experienced leader to drive API Engineering into the future. The leader will help to build a companywide strategy for API development and also build frameworks to help empower our developer base.
Responsibilities: * Lead multiple scrum teams to successful outcomes * Evangelize the API engineering transformation at an accelerated pace * Collaborate with technology peers and leaders to gain strategic alignment * Foster innovation and experimentation * Attract, retain and grow top engineering talent, providing guidance, career development and mentorship to team members * Develop new API frameworks, which empower our developer base, and allow us to increase of development velocity. Why American Express? There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards. We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express. Don’t make a difference without it. Don’t live life without it.
Technical Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in computer science or equivalent
- 10 years of engineering experience, with emphasis on building high volume, highly scalable systems
- A firm understanding of networking principles: DNS, TCP, HTTP 2
- Experience developing architecture and E2E solutions that conform to regulations for privacy, security and compliance
- The ability to look at code and derive time and space complexity
- Deep experience with multiple open source solutions
- The ability to learn new technologies quickly and teach them to others. Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Title: Engineering Director - Cloud Native
Requisition ID: 18015657