Bartlett & West, Inc Engineering Specialist in Sioux Falls, South Dakota
*Position Summary: *A technical subject matter expert on water treatment projects and should have a background in water.The focus of this position may include serving as an internal consulting resource to other professionals on projects throughout the company, and support business development pursuits.
Project work will focus on water treatment, and water pumping systems
Veterans encouraged to apply.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Acts as a technical specialist in a particular engineering area or discipline.
- Provides internal technical advice to project managers throughout the company for the purpose of preparing proposals and developing client presentations.
- Collaborates with a project manager with project planning including development of the project scope, concepts and strategies to be used, task organization, fee development. .
- This position willassist with identification of other required resources, and schedules necessary to complete the project. Collaborates with the development of cost and budget estimates for the project.
- Provides technical guidance to the project manager in developing an agreement for engineering services, including scope, fee structure, fee amount, schedule, and all other risk sharing/management provisions related to the engineering manager’s portion of the project.
- Directs, manages and participates in the production of the project deliverables. Performs or participates in some or all of the following:
- Preliminary studies, plans and cost estimates
- Definition of and oversight of design surveys
- Designs and plan production
- Conducting project status/review meetings
- Specification and contract document development and production
- Bidding and contract award and construction administration oversight
- Monitors and maintains quality on all facets of the project deliverable
- Leads construction administration services for design team
- Provides input to the project manager and/or others regarding the monthly project accounting process, including review of time and expense charges to projects.
- In coordination with the project manager, communicates openly and frequently with clients during the course of a project to ensure that all issues are addressed to the client’s satisfaction.
- Participates in on-going client maintenance activities, as appropriate.
- Reviews personal and project staff labor utilization relative to assigned project teams on a regular basis as directed.
- In coordination with the project manager, oversees and directs the assignments of engineers and technicians assigned to a project.
- Develops and fosters an open environment encouraging communication among team members assigned to a project. Provides constructive performance feedback to project team members and coaches to improve performance.
- Provides performance information on all project team members to the delivery leader, team leader, or project manager.
- Stays abreast of new engineering trends, techniques, strategies, philosophies and methods. Participates in professional organization(s) in the manager’s area of expertise and/or client focus. Maintains professional licensure in the states required by the company.
- Focused on project delivery, mentoring, and technical leadership.
- Will have a substantial role in developing and implementing scope/fee/schedule/quality plan for projects. Typically teamed up with Project Manager who is ultimately responsible for the projects.
- Mentors team members.
- May analyze a specific issue on PM’s project to recommend solutions that are efficient and cost effective.
- Meets with vendors of equipment on a technical basis with project managers and project teams.
- May present at conferences and tradeshows.
- May participate in the company’s standard specification process. .
- May serve as the people manager/HR supervisor for a team.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Professional Engineering License
- Demonstrates creativity, foresight, and judgment in planning, organizing and problem analysis and resolution.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Effective interpersonal skills to maintain effective internal and external relationships.
- Demonstrates creativity, foresight, and judgement in planning, organizing, and problem solving
- Professional engineering license in any state, ability to obtain in other states by reciprocity required
- Knowledge of various contracting methods including design-bid-build and design-build
- Provides internal technical advice to project managers
- Ability to mentor and develop less experienced staff in area of expertise
- In coordination with the project manager, oversees and directs the assignments of engineers and designers
- Stays abreast of new engineering trends, techniques, strategies, philosophies, and technologies
10+ years’ experience in civil engineering projects, specifically water treatment and pumping systems with increasing responsibility and P.E. license
College degree in civil, or chemical engineering as appropriate or equivalent in combined education and experience. Master’s degree in environmental engineering a plus.
Position may travel for client meetings, to other Bartlett & West locations, various business/organization meetings and/or industry conferences. Minimum travel is up to 20% of the time. Valid driver’s license with good driving record required.
Bartlett & West is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, status as a protected veteran or status as a qualified individual with disability.
An offer is contingent upon successfully passing the pre-employment drug screen. Drug screen will need to complete within 48 hours of being contacted.
Nearly all positions at Bartlett & West can require employee-owners to operate a motor vehicle on public roads in the course of their duties. Accordingly, all employees may be required to have acceptable driving records and to provide an authorization to the Company to periodically obtain MVR reports”.
Bartlett & West partners with businesses and communities to build smarter, stronger, more connected infrastructure. From railroad GIS to industrial parks and city planning, we provide innovative technology and engineering solutions to clients worldwide. With deep industry knowledge and a passion for creative problem solving, we engineer better tomorrows.
_Bartlett & West is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, status as a protected veteran or status as a qualified individual with disability. _
Company: Bartlett & West
Job ID: 2020-1635
FLSA Status: Exempt
Service Group: DOS - Water Resources
# of Openings: 1