Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Medical Support Assistant in Sioux Falls, South Dakota
The Sioux Falls VA Health Care System is currently recruiting for a Full-time, Permanent, Medical Support Assistant.
The procedures outlined in AFGE Master Agreement, Article 23, Section 8 will be followed. First consideration will be given to current Sioux Falls VAHCS employees.
Learn more about this agency
- Perform receptionist and customer service duties as assigned for the proper and timely treatment of patients.
- Maintain appointment schedules for one or more clinics.
- Assist with clinic access contingency plans by adjusting appointment times, location, or dates as well as shift patients to other healthcare providers as conflict with staffing and/or coverage occurs.
- Schedule appointments and monitor clinic access.
- Conduct daily review of consults and wait lists.
- Develop/maintain effective and efficient communication with the patient, interdisciplinary team, VA medical centers, and other agencies.
- Monitor pre-appointment requirements to assure readiness for patient visit/procedure (e.g., X-ray, lab work).
- Manage electronic wait list to verify and validate accuracy and resolve issues.
- Participate and provide input in problem solving on operational issues or procedures in team meetings.
- Perform administrative follow up actions.
- Designated scheduling subject matter expert and also trains other MSA's in VHA scheduling techniques.
- Responsible for tracking new enrollees to the health care system and making their initial appointment in accordance with the new enrollee time lines. Work Schedule:The tour of duty for this position is typically days, Monday - Friday. Additional information may be provided during the interview process. Telework:Not Available Virtual: This is not a virtual position. Functional Statement: Medical Support Assistant Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
- #### Job family (Series)
0679 Medical Support Assistance
Conditions of Employment
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Background and-or Security Investigation required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job.
- You may be required to serve a probationary period.
Basic Requirements: United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy. English Language Proficiency: Must be proficient in spoken and written English. Education & Experience: * Experience: Six months experience of clerical, office or other work that indicates the ability to acquire the particular knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties of the position; OR * Education: One year above high school (Transcripts required); OR * Experience/Education Combination:Equivalent combination of experience and education are qualifying for entry level for which both education and experience are acceptable (Transcripts required). Grade Determinations: GS-3: Experience or Education: None beyond the basic requirements. GS-4: Experience or Education: One year of experience in clerical or office work that indicates the ability to acquire the particular knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties of the position or two years of education above high school. Demonstrated Knowledge, Skills and Abilities. In addition to meeting the experience and/or education requirement, Candidates must demonstrate the KSAs below: 1. Ability to meet, communicate and interact with individuals from varying backgrounds and other health care team members in a courteous and helpful manner in order to complete job assignments. 2. Ability to use various types of office automation equipment and software. 3. Ability to set up, organize, and maintain record systems. GS-5: Experience: One year of experience equivalent to the next lower grade level or 4 years of education above high school. Demonstrate Knowledge, Skills and Abilities.In addition to meeting the experience and/or education requirement, Candidates must demonstrate the KSAs below: 1. Ability to operate computerized programs and databases in order to enter, modify and retrieve sensitive information/data into or from electronic medical records, scheduling systems and/or reports. 2. Knowledge of basic medical terminology. 3. Ability to make appointments in a clinical setting. 4. Ability to work independently in the accomplishments of a wide variety of duties, including setting priorities and coordinating work. 5. Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with employees at varying grade levels. 6. Ability to identify customer's concerns, perform the tasks required to resolve the issue accurately and timely, and follow-up as necessary to ensure a satisfactory resolution.
References: VA Handbook 5005 Part II, Chapter 3, Appendix G-45
The full performance level of this vacancy is GS-5. The actual grade at which an applicant may be selected for this vacancy is in the range of GS-3 to GS-5.
IMPORTANT: A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
Note:Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
Selected applicants may be required to complete an online onboarding process.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
United States Citizenship Required; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.Your application, resume, C.V., and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Background checks and security clearance
- Required Documents
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- Resume The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist (https://www.va.gov/OHRM/joblistings/applicantchecklist.pdf) to make sure you have included other documents required for your application. You will not be contacted for additional information.
- VA Form 10-2850c - Application for Associated Health Occupations can be found at: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/searchaction.asp?FormNo=2850&tkey;=&Action;=Search
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
All applicants are encouraged to apply online. To apply for this position, you must complete the full questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (ET) on 09/28/2018.
- To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USA JOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
- Click Submit My Answers to submit your application package. NOTE: It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
To verify your application is complete, log into your USA JOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process. To return to an incomplete application, log into your USA JOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USA JOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
Agency contact information
(605) 336-3230 X7760
Royal C Johnson Veterans Memorial Hospital 2501 West 22nd Street Sioux Falls, SD US
Learn more about this agency
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USA Jobs account and clicking on Applications. Information regarding your application status can be found in the USAJobs Help Center.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/502022900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 06/11/2018 to 09/28/2018
Salary: $26,587 to $48,385 per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 00
Work schedule: Full-Time
Appointment type: Permanent