Hy-Vee Food Stores Security Guard - Retail - Part Time in Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Job Title: Security Guard FLSA: Non-Exempt
Department: Grocery Revision Date: 03/2009
Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service. Provides surveillance services to apprehend shoplifters and prevent shoplifting and vandalism.
Accountable and Reports to: Store Director; Assistant Store Director; Managers GM, Perishables, and Store Operations; Assistant Managers GM, Perishables, and Store Operations
Direct Reports: None
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service by exhibiting caring, concern and patience in all customer interactions and treating customers as the most important people in the store.
Smiles and greets customers in a friendly manner, whether the encounter takes place in the employee's designated department or elsewhere in the store.
Responds to requests for assistance from employees or customers in the instances of fights or other disturbances.
Apprehends and subdues shoplifters.
Contacts police regarding known offenders or suspicious persons observed during duties, parking lot accidents, and notifies fire department or ambulance services in case of emergency.
Interviews victims and witnesses and writes incident reports.
Reports unsafe conditions inside and outside the store to management.
Patrols buildings and grounds to prevent and detect fire, vandalism, shoplifting, and mechanical malfunctions: Checks doors and windows to secure when needed.
Maintains strict adherence to department and company guidelines related to personal hygiene and dress.
Adheres to company policies and individual store guidelines.
Reports to work when scheduled and on time.
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities:
May make bank deposits.
Performs other job related duties and special projects as required.
Education and Experience:
High school or equivalent experience. Security training and six months or less of similar or related work experience.
· Must be able to physically perform very heavy work: exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally to move objects.
· Visual requirements include vision from less than 20 inches to more than 20 feet with or without correction, depth perception, color vision, and field of vision.
· Must be able to perform the following physical activities: Climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, reaching, standing, walking, pulling, lifting, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Worker Characteristics:
· Must have the ability to solve practical problems; variety of variables with limited standardization; interpret instructions.
· Must be able to perform arithmetic calculations involving fractions, decimals, and percentages.
· Must be able to report, write, or edit original correspondence; write identifying information; guide people and provide basic direction; interview and interrogate to obtain information; and have increased contact with people.
The duties for this position are conducted in a store environment.
Equipment Used to Perform Job:
Standard tools and equipment used to perform loss prevention/security duties.
May be responsible for making bank deposits.
Has daily contact with employees, customers, and suppliers/vendors.
Has access to confidential information including knowledge of employee confessions and investigation proceedings on company personnel.